Friday, January 9, 2009

Ice MC, "Scream"

When I was about ten a (rather well off) friend of mine went on an exchange trip to Germany. When he came back he played me a few mix tapes he'd made by recording songs off the local pop radio stations. Given the time period and the location, it's no surprise that the majority of the tunes were eurodance, although I certainly had never heard of the term at the time. I remember hours of D&D sessions which used those tapes as a soundtrack, but what sticks in my mind more than anything is a track by a British bloke named Ice MC. While Ice MC never made much impact on this side of the pond until his "Think About The Way" was featured in Trainspotting (it's the BONG-DIGGY-DIGGY-DIGGY-BONG-DIGGY-BONG" cut in case you need a refresher), he won my ten year-old heart with a bit of horror-themed silliness called "Scream". See if you can figure out the reason why:



No idea? Wind it back to 2:46. The man breaks the track full-stop to announce that the terror inspired by simply listing a ream of horror movie characters has been sufficient cause for him to lose control of his bowels. The sheer nerve of this, coupled with the inherent hilarity of the word "plopping" to a ten year-old (plus the cutting of the word immediately afterward), was enough to send my friend and I into unstoppable paroxysms of laughter. That small portion of the mix tape was rewound and replayed ad nauseum. Neither of our parents could get us to stop insisting at the dinner table that we, too, were plopping in our pants.

I hadn't thought about the song for years until just now. Was it still as hysterical as I remembered, I wondered? Was the idea of a eurodance song which prominently featured the word "plopping" still the funniest thing I could ever imagine? Yes. Yes it was.

No comments: