Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gang Gang Dance, "House Jam"

Like most record geeks, trash-talking Pitchfork accounts for a goodly portion of mine and Alex's music jibber-jabber (I'd have thought that the Lil' Wayne's knob gobblin' would've stopped by this point, but no), so it wounds me to have to tip the hat to them. But, as I found out when they directed me to Poni Hoax in '06, their year-end Best 100 Tracks lists are usually good for pointing you to one or two gems which would've otherwise slipped through the cracks, and with a crop of records as good as 2008's, there's plenty I've missed...like the fact that Gang Gang Dance dropped an LP a couple of months ago.

I loved their 2005 release, "God's Money", for it's ability to keep intriguing tonal soundscapes and sheer fucked-upedness in the air simultaneously without ever disappearing up it's own arse. "House Jam", from their new(ish) "Saint Dymphna" LP, manages to do the same while adding some noddable synth-flourishes. I started my day off with a snowy walk set to the first disc of Kate Bush's "Aerial", and "House Jam" was the perfect digestif: cool snares and inviting vocal coos lay the ground for a medium-tempo groover, which even manages to work in some tasteful Low-Life-era New Order style guitar.

Cue this up, and enjoy the snow while it lasts.

Gang Gang Dance, "House Jam"


Edit: There's a slightly tweaked remix as well, but I think I prefer the original.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoah this sounds like Kate Bush, dunnit? (hint - hum "it's you and me, daddy" along with it...)

to hell with Pitchfork. good finds in Momus' year-end top ten (Max Tundra and Yximalloo I can definitely vouchsafe).

gillian said...

Methinks it's not too preemptive to expect a best of aught '08 list? Soon?

- g.b.