Monday, December 1, 2008

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Patriarchy"

I've generally enjoyed both Dresden Dolls CDs, and was thinking about picking up frontwoman Amanda Palmer's debut solo disc in anticipation of checking out her show when she rolls through Van in about a week's time...

...Until today, when I got word that Amanda's parted ways with label Roadrunner in response to their refusal to promote her (dope) new video. Take a look for yourself and see if you can spot the problem that Roadrunner had with it:



Well? Isn't it obvious? Weren't you roundly disgusted by all of the belly fat that Amanda was showing? I mean, look at the video at 4:11! There's an actual crease in her stomach, for cripes sake! Wouldn't you think it was entirely reasonable to ask Palmer to re-edit the video so that viewers with the sexual maturity of nine year-old glue-eaters could be spared the sight of a woman who doesn't look as though a stiff gust of wind might break her spine?

What's that? You wouldn't? You'd call that a pathetic pile of sexist double-standard bullshit from a label that's had no qualms about promoting material from gentlemen of the more corpulent persuasion like Ian Astbury and Dino Cazares? Well, you wouldn't be alone. Palmer fans have united in forming a Rebellyon which will be forwarding pictures of their own bellies to Roadrunner (pithy messages written in Sharpie 'round said bellies are optional) for the foreseeable future.

I'm holding off buying "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" until I can do so at the show - sure I'll have to wait a bit but there's a better chance of more of my cash going to Amanda's pocket and staying out of Roadrunner's. I've bought plenty of CDs from Roadrunner in the past, and I'm not saying I never will again (although a mea culpa from them at this point couldn't hurt), but let's just say that I can easily find alternate uses for my entertainment dollar in these economically tight times.

Shit like this is why my head feels like exploding when people claim that "sexism is over" or that they "don't get" feminism.

2 comments:

Evilyn said...

Funny that they are so worried about a belly roll that I actually had to rewind the video to see because it went by so quickly that I missed it. Yet they didn't point out that at the end (4.58) you can see her damn ribs sticking out. I think this may call for a Def In June belly photoshoot where we are covered in lard to show people at her label how sexy curves can be. :P

Joshua said...

Fat people are disgusting. Yuck.