Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bruce Springsteen - Dream Baby Dream (Live Suicide Cover)


This beautiful version of Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream" exists at the nexus where all the Def in June contributors' tastes intersect. Issued on record to celebrate Alan Vega's 70th (!!!) birthday, apparently the Boss used this to close out his live shows on the 2005 Devils and Dust solo tour. Of course New Jersey's native son (fuck Bon Jovi straight up) has been talking up the New York synth punk legends for years, and has stated that his song "State Trooper" was heavily influenced by them. From a 1984 interview with Kurt Loder from Rolling Stone:

"Bruce Springsteen:...They had that two-piece synthesizer-voice thing. They had one of the most amazing songs I ever heard. It was about a guy that murders...
Rolling Stone: "Frankie Teardrop"?
Bruce Springsteen: Yeah! Oh, my God! That's one of the most amazing records I think I ever heard. I really love that record."


Maybe that's where he got the name for Joe Robert's no-good brother on "Highway Patrolman"?

Bruce Springsteen - Dream Baby Dream


Super Bonus Video: Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (Live and Hella Emotional)

2 comments:

Contrasoma said...

I was overjoyed when I heard this would be getting an official release, and it lives up to my hopes. I do really believe that younger generations need to reexamine Springsteen outside of the context he's usually presented in and reclaim his underlying message (I wrote a bit about that a while back - aimed at a more general readership), and stuff like the Blast First Petite tribute series can only help with that.

'Course, the argument could be made that those who are hip to Suicide might be savvy enough to pick up what the Boss has been putting down for decades. Maybe that's where The Killers come in. They're still not doing much substantive, but if one kid picks up "Born To Run" as a result of mastering "When You Were Young" on Guitar Hero...

Evilyn said...

Word. I loved The Boss's last album so much I snagged it from work for free. They used to send us samples to play in the store and I couldn't resist, and it seemed like it wasn't getting the love it deserved behind the counter.