Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gold-napp at the Commodore Sept 17th 2008

Miss Goldfrapp took the stage with six other men, and a stage full of musical equipment and instruments, ranging from a key-tar to a harp. She was dressed in a picnic blanket with pom poms on the front to give you the illusion that she was a harlequin clown. The only reason I could make this assumption though was from the backdrop behind her which looked like flags from a circus tent. She marched along to most of her songs and near the end swayed and shimmied up to the mic tossing her hair around and getting more into the electronic songs she breathed out.

For me, the whole show lacked energy. I have danced my ass off in the club to "Train" "Number One" "Oh La La", and "Strict Machine" and I just didn't feel any inclination even to seat dance at this show. The bass line was great in a few of the songs and you could feel your bones vibrate in your body because there was so much depth in the songs, but the power behind the songs just wasn't making me move. So instead of really wanting to get up and tear a strip on the floor with the hundreds of others at this sold out show, I sat back and actually enjoyed the beautiful sound of her voice, which surprisingly I had never done before.



I should have expected her show to be a bit more mellow and vocal, as her latest CD "Seventh Tree" is a lot more acoustic than the previous two. Even though the show was far from what I had expected, it was still a pretty decent. I know a few friends of mine left early as they just couldn't handle the lack of inspiration in her farty electro-tunes she was now swooning to, and don't even get me started on her boring bandmates! The merch table left much to be desired, the shirts were beyond boring, with logos on them that only said Goldfrapp, so you may as well just buy a sticker and stick it on a white shirt and say you were there. They even had tote bags for about $40 bucks that I wouldn't even put my empty beer bottles in! Needless to say, if Goldfrapp comes back to Vancouver I probably won't pay to see them again, when I can go to the bar and shake my booty to the UK queen any given Saturday night.

No comments: