Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Pleasure Seekers, "What A Way To Die"

The Pleasure Seekers were an all-girl Detroit garage band who recorded two singles in the mid-60s. They're mostly remembered (if at all) for being the first musical project of a pre-"Happy Days" Suzi Quatro. Their first single, 1965's "Never Thought You'd Leave Me" is no slouch of a song - it's a nice bit of piano-driven go-go. But it's the B-side, a track called "What A Way To Die" that leaps out of the speakers with its classic garage groove and banshee shrieks.

The lyrics have to be heard to be believed. A paean to teenage boozing and groping that's equal parts slinky come-on and proto-riot grrrl flip-off, the song's sentiment could perhaps be reduced to "Fuck off, boyfriend, I'm drinking. And drinking is AWESOME."

When I start my drinking
my baby throws a fit
So I just blitz him outta my mind
with seventeen bottles of Schlitz


(read the rest of the lyrics here)

Before Bikini Kill, before the Go-Go's backstage tape, before Girlschool, there were The Pleasure Seekers. Enjoy.

The Pleasure Seekers, "What A Way To Die"

No comments: