Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fan Death are from Vancouver?


So, this summer I came across this mp3 of a track by an unsigned group called Fan Death. "Veronica's Veil" is exactly the sort of thing that piques me, a bit of electro bounce behind some dark disco-esque strings and some sultry, wounded vocals. I've seen comparisons to Hercules & Love Affair, but they made me think of the Junior Boys' darker moments. So, I kept tabs on them, downloaded their 12" from Beatport and occasionally check in to see if anything new has surfaced. And today during a cursory glance around the web I find pictures of them playing a gig. At local Vancouver shithole Pub 340. Naturally curious, I look around a little more and what do I find, but that despite claiming to be from a fictional city named Grey Gardens on their myspace, the group is actually based out of Van City. This is just like Lynx & Ram all over again.

At any rate, I'm still totally smitten with them, especially after hearing a recent remix of they did for australian chanteuse Ladyhawke. No word on when a full length might be out, but they're playing a gig at Storyeum on December 5th with another great local act who couldn't possibly be more different, Bison BC. I will unfortunately be out of town seeing Nine Inch Nails, but everyone else should go, seriously.

Fan Death - Veronica's Veil

1 comment:

Hilda said...

One of the girls is the singer of Dandi Wind.